The Moore Catchment Council Inc was presented as a Finalist in the prestigious Woolworths Community Group of the Year Award, by Anthea Halliday, Woolworths Supermarkets at the 2019 Western Australian Regional Achievement and Community Awards Gala Presentation Dinner held at Hyatt Regency Perth on Friday 18th October.
The Awards were hosted by Noel Brunning, Presenter, GWN7 News and more than 460 guests gathered from across the State including official guest; Hon. Darren West MLC, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Regional Development; Agriculture and Food; Ports; Minister assisting the Minister for State Development, Jobs and Trade representing Hon. Alannah MacTiernan MLC, Minister for Regional Development; Agriculture and Food; Minister Assisting the Minister for State Development, Jobs and Trade, to celebrate regional Western Australia’s high achievers.
The Moore Catchment Council Inc. hopes to increase environmental awareness. Moore Catchment Council is a small landcare group composed of local community volunteers who wanted to show off the natural assets of the Midwest as well as the threats it faces. The Moore Catchment Council holds The Last Stand, a community environmental awareness raising event, highlighting the Wheatbelt wildflower country. Over 400 people attended the 5-day event at Moora Performing Arts Centre. The event includes an exhibit of artwork, poetry and craft, interactive displays, guided bush walk and a symposium. The Last Stand won the Shire of Moora Australia Day 2019 ‘Event of the Year” Award.
The twelve category winners are:
• Boab Health Services of Broome – Insurance Commission of Western Australia Regional Safety Award
• Wheatbelt Secondary Freight Network Program – Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries Making a Difference Award
• Life and Soul Health and Fitness Club of Djugun – Prime Super Business Achievement Award
• Mirima Dawang Woorlab-gerring Language and Culture Centre of Kununurra – Curtin University, School of Education Teaching Excellence Award
• Les Wallam of Eaton – RAC Volunteering Award
• Froth Craft Brewery of Exmouth – Rinehart Development of Northern Regional WA Award
• Djarindjin Airport – Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development Economic Development Award
• Nanette Williams of Nickol – Community TAB Community Service Award
• WA iSports Inc of East Bunbury – Woolworths Community Group of the Year Award
• Shannon Richards of Boulder – Ricoh Australia Customer Service Award
• South West Community Care of Harvey – Prime Super Employer Excellence in Aged Care Award
• Albany Roller Derby League – Horizon Power Leadership and Innovation Award
Winners each received a $2,000 Award prize from Foundation Partner, Commonwealth Bank and a magnificent trophy.
Gravity ETC was announced as the 2019 People’s Choice Award Winner and received a $250 cash prize.
The Awards night was the culmination of a tremendously successful year with hundreds of nominations received from across regional Western Australia.